Monday, January 30, 2017

Being Patient

If you know me at all, you would know that when I decide to make a change, or start something new I go all in immediately. I do mean IMMEDIATELY! This is going to sound sad, particularly for people (like my husband) who research and deliberate on the decisions around something new for a long long time, but I am super proud of myself that I have made it a whole week without ordering a grain mill.  I have spent hours watching and reading reviews, and for the first time in my life I can't decide which one I want, although I want one right now!  To ease this "I need it now so I can make our family healthier" desire I have, I am super thankful my in-laws had an electric mill in their basement. It's a Magic Mill, and while it is not one of the mills I'm looking into purchasing, it will grind wheat and let me get started. Well, as soon as I get my hands on some wheat berries.




If you are curious about learning more about grinding your own wheat, I was recommended The Bread Beckers and they have testimonials, and videos and lots of information.  They even do classes, which they have recorded. I love that! I am glad this website was recommended to me.  I have also read and watched lots of other information from other places as well.

I don't know if this mill will do this, but the 2 mills I'm looking at, the wondermill and the nutrimill both will grind wheat, but also rice, beans, corn, and other grains as well.  Also, you can grind popcorn into cornmeal. I think this is fantastic. I know first hand how delicious fresh ground cornmeal is, and I'm excited to try that out.  I just used the last of my cornmeal last week.

If I'm being super honest, I wanted to take off on a short road trip Friday and get my wheat berries so I could get started, but there were things around my home that needed attending too, and it was snowing and the roads were slick, so I searched online for a good deal and will have some wheat berries arriving today. I picked up small bags of three different wheat berries, hard red wheat, hard white wheat, and soft white wheat. Hard wheats are required for yeast breads and soft wheat for pastries, cakes, and biscuits.

I am super excited. For me this is being super patient. I really want to go all in right now, but we have some food we need to use up (no reason to waste my money), and there will be a learning curve I'm sure before I'm making all our bread, even though bread making is not new for me.

I will need to find a local food pantry to donate some things too, like the boxes of pasta I bought as sam's club.  We really don't eat a lot of pasta and even before deciding on this change I was thinking of donating it. This just will let me get it done.



Have a blessed day!

No comments: