Thursday, May 13, 2010

A great Meatloaf

Meatloaf is one of those things that almost always gives me heartburn, but today I found a great recipe. I read through and thought, wow that is just different enough I might be able to take it. I made some substitutions, so I am going to list the recipe as I made it, with possible changes you could make if you wanted.

Meatloaf

2 eggs
3/4 cup almond breeze almond milk (could use regular milk)
2/3 cup whole wheat pita fresh made bread crumbs (or use store bought or reg. bread)
2 Tbsp. minced dried onion (or 1/2 c fresh chopped onion) (i prefer minced, not as strong
1 tsp salt
1 tsp rubbed sage
dash of pepper
1-1/2 pounds ground turkey (you could certainly use beef)

Topping:
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vinegar

1. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, breadcrumbs, onion, salt, sage, and pepper. Add ground turkey and mix well.
2. Shape into an 8-1/2 in x 4-1/2 in. loaf in an ungreased shallow loaf pan.
3. Combine remaining ingredients (syrup, ketchup and vinegar); spread the mixture over meat loaf.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes or until no longer pink (180 degrees)
5. drain.
6. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.

I will say there was quite a bit of liquid I drained off. I was surprised by the amount. This meatloaf had a great flavor, my kids even came back for seconds.

We had this with baked sweet potatoes and asparagus. DELISH!!!!


Enjoy. It was a super simple and ready in an hour.

Have a blessed evening!

No comments: