Thursday, August 12, 2010

Homemade Coffee Creamer

I decided to give this a try because I really love vanilla flavored coffee, but silk creamer is not readily available, and slenda french vanilla is so expensive. So I found a blog with a recipe and I would love to give her credit, but it was one of those attention deficit blog hops, where I started one place and I found that like 10 places later. Anyway, it was super simple and pretty good, I need more vanilla for my taste, but it is a live and learn kinda thing.

1/4 c. brown sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla
2 c. half and half (or in my case, almond breeze

in a saucepan I heated the br. sugar and vanilla (just realized i probably cooked half the vanilla away, so I should probably add that at the end of heating the sugar),

once the brown sugar mix is melted(or slightly bubbling) turn off burner and slowly whisk in your milk product.

I put it in a mason jar and put it in the fridge. I read somewhere that it would be good for up to 2 weeks, but I mark my jug of almond breeze when I open it because it is only okay for about 10 days once opened, so I will just empty my creamer at the same time, that is if it lasts that long ha! It was nice having creamy coffee this morning. For the most part it is pretty guiltless too. I think I may try a pumpkin spice creamer for the fall. I used to love the pumpkin spice hot smoothies from Tim Hortons (giant sigh!! ha!)

I have been doing a lot of reading on living more "green" and being more economical. What I know is my own creamer cost was way less than a $1 and that is for 2 cups of it, and a pint of silk creamer was close to $4. So I have cut out packaging but using a mason jar on hand, and saved money!! yay! And it was super easy!

No comments: