Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A new skirt

I took a pair of jeans and some clearance fabric and made a skirt my girl. Which taught my daughter we can take something and make it useful. I spent less than $5.00 on this project.

So I started with these

both on clearance, jeans at JCPenney for 1.97, and fabric in the remnant bin at walmart.

I cut off the legs of the jeans

then cut my fabric in half(it was less than a yard in length to start with. I used the width of the fabric for each panel, one for the front and one for the back. I ran a basting stitch to gather the fabric, and gathered it to the width of the jeans cut portion.

then I sewed the side seams together

then pinned the side seams of the fabric, to the side seams of the jeans, then found the centers of the front and back and pinned those to the front and back centers (using the seams as a guide), then just pinned it the rest of the way around adjusting the gathers as I went. This is pinned right sides together

I stitched all the way around, then turned it right side out, and removed any basting stitches I could see.

I made a rough guess at the length, folded it over and cut, then ironed it over 1/4 inch, then 1 inch

then hemmed it up. I love the way it turned out. I took some of the extra fabric and made flowers, that tutorial will be coming tomorrow.

Love how this turned out, and my girl is going to be over the moon!

All Done!

Have a blessed day

linked to

1 comment:

Cassidy said...

Fabulous! I love it!!!
Smiles, Cass