Friday, May 20, 2011

Buttercream Icing

There will be a pic of the finished cookie later, however, here is the icing recipe. You should know this icing does crust, but not quickly so it is workable.

1 cup shortening (or 1/2 cup each of shortening and butter)
1 Tbsp meringue powder (this is optional, but I like it better with it, walmart has it in the cake section)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp butter flavor (I prefer wiltons also found in the cake section at walmart or hobby lobby, michaels etc)
6-8 Tbsp warm water (I add the water a little at a time to the desired consistency)
1 lb. or 4 cups of powdered sugar

In a stand mixer on low mix shortening, meringue powder, vanilla, butter flavor, and a tbsp or 2 of water to break shortening down, slowly add in powdered sugar. adding water to keep it mixed well. once all the powdered sugar is mixed in, if it feels stiff to touch you can add a bit more water to soften it. Then beat the tar out of the icing. I flip my kitchen aide to high and walk away for several minutes. you will get a nice fluffy white icing. You can color it with icing colors, regular food color will thin out the icing. I prefer americolor to wilton icing colors, but either work fine. This is great on cookies, graham crackers, pretzels, spoons ha!, but I started making it originally for cakes. It is the perfect decorator icing.

Enjoy!

Have a blessed day!

No comments: