Monday, April 16, 2012

Something new we are trying...

For a very long time I have been trying to figure out a way to teach my children scripture. I am not the typical "mommy blogger". Actually, I'm not sure that's what I am at all, but I suppose I could be grouped into that category, but what I mean is I don't home school my children. I take them to school everyday, waste enjoy my 6 hours and 30 minutes of time then pick them up. I suppose it would be easier to get scripture in if it were part of our schooling, but it is not. I have tried with out success several different things, and the real problem I realize is me. My follow through is seriously rather lacking. However, I have been praying about this to determine how I can follow through and how I can get my children to willingly participate in scripture learning.

About a couple weeks ago I came up with a plan of attack, but I struggled with what the verse we would work on first. Rebecca even asked almost everyday last week when we could start. I am thrilled the kids are excited about learning scripture, however I wanted to pick a good verse as our beginning foundation. On my way to work on Sunday morning God laid a verse on my heart,  I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you  Psalm 119:11. It was the perfect start up verse. It tells what we are doing and why.

So today after school, we got out our Bibles, talked briefly about how to find Psalms, then found our scripture reference. We reviewed what the numbers meant, then wrote the verse out in our notebooks. I got the all 3 of us a notebook, post its, and index cards.

The plan is day 1, write it in our journal, and then do an activity (today was all the words on index cards and put it in order)
day 2, write it on an index card, and do activity
day 3, say it, write it on a post it and place it somewhere often visited (for Ryan on his DS)
day 4, say it, then write it from memory
day 5 say it

this is tentative. Some verses will take us longer than others. I want them both to have a scripture journal filled with verses.

Hope you have a blessed day

No comments: