Thursday, May 3, 2012

Memory work

The kids have done a great job working on memorizing their verse. It has taken about two weeks with all the school work and everything else going on to commit it to memory, but I think they both finally have our first one, which we will continue to review weekly. In case you missed it, we started with

Psalm 119:11
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

I stressed the importance of hiding God's word in our hearts and how we can benefit from it.


Yesterday, knowing we were ready to start on our next verse, I began looking over the short list I had made, and none of them really jumped out as the one that should be next. So I asked God for guidance in choosing the next verse, but really had no method for finding it. So I started going through my Bible, reading each verse I had highlighted along the way. In Isaiah I found it, I read it and "that's the one" jumped off the page.


Isaiah 30:21
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, "This is the way; walk in it."

Then I wrote each word out on an index card so we could play "make the verse" where they arrange each word into the correct order, but I realized I had written in from my "old" Bible, which is New revised Standard, but Rebecca's new Bible (which she purchased herself) is NIV, and Ryan's Bible is NIV, so I pulled out my new Bible which I don't use much because I love all the highlighting and markings in my old Bible, and highlighted the verse in my new Bible. Then adjusted the index cards accordingly.

I bought a new Bible well over a year ago, maybe almost 2 because my old one was is falling apart, but it is comforting. Then I realized I could mark the verses that mean so much to me in my new Bible. I spent the next couple hours in God's word, reading old markings, and making new notes in my new Bible.  I started in Isaiah though, so I need to do the first half of my Bible. Some would say you should start fresh, and highlight or mark as God shows you something new, but I lean on those highlighted passages in my old Bible. Now I can pick up my new Bible and if I don't have a particular passage of study in mind I can go through the highlighted areas. I am so glad I did that!

That was a complete side note. Anyway, the new verse reminds us that God directs our path, and will guide us if we listen. Which is really the next step to having God's word hidden in our hearts.  I am certain I am getting as much or more from this venture than my children, but I am happy they want to learn it too.

Hope you have a blessed day!

No comments: