Thursday, April 18, 2013

Easy Homemade Bread

I love homemade bread, my kids love homemade bread, and when I haven't made it in awhile my husband reminds me that he loves homemade bread.

This is an easy recipe, and I believe anyone can make bread.


Now doesn't that look tasty. We use it as sandwich bread, or we just snack on it.


You will need:

2 cups of warm water
2/3 cup sugar or honey
1 1/2 Tbsp yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil
6 cups flour

In a large bowl dissolve sugar in water: add yeast. Allow to proof for about 10 minutes (yeast will get all bubbly)

Mix salt and oil into yeast, then begin working in the flour one cup at a time. Initially you can stir it with a wooden spoon, but at about cup 4 you may need to start using your hands.  (You may not need all 6 cups of flour, sometimes I use 5 depending on the weather)

Knead the dough till smooth. Place in an oiled bowl. cover with a damp towel and let rise till doubled in size (about an hour).

Punch down the dough. Knead a few minutes, then split in half.  Shape into loaves and place in oiled bread pans. Let rise 30 more minutes.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Your house will smell amazing, and you taste buds will be very happy. And you will know exactly what is in your bread.

I usually store my bread in a bag. This doesn't last us more than a couple days, so there is little chance of it going bad, so I can't say how long it stays good.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Tonya said...

yumm-o, nothing like the smell of fresh bread baking