Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Do you do a Word of the Year?

  1. I have tried the "one little word" for the year thing before, and it lasted about a minute! Sometimes my follow thru is lacking.  I would say it is because before the word was just a word. Something that kind of sounded good, would be cute made from wooden letters etc. A trend per se. Well, it may still be a trend, but today a word smacked me in the face. It's not a cute word, it won't be particularly cute on the wall, or be a sweet decoration. It is more of a scream at you, give you direction, grab your attention, reset kind of word. It's a good word for me though, it is what I need to do on so many levels. 
  1. My word is FOCUS
  2. One dictionary offered these definitions:
  3.     clearly


Our good old friend Merriam-Webster offered more:


1
a :  a point at which rays (as of light, heat, or sound) converge or from which they diverge or appear to diverge;specifically :  the point where the geometrical lines or their prolongations conforming to the rays diverging from or converging toward another point intersect and give rise to an image after reflection by a mirror or refraction by a lens or optical system
b :  a point of convergence of a beam of particles (as electrons)
2
a :  focal length
b :  adjustment for distinct vision; also :  the area that may be seen distinctly or resolved into a clear image
c :  a state or condition permitting clear perception or understanding <tried to bring the issues into focus>
d :  direction 6c <the team lost focus>
3
:  one of the fixed points that with the corresponding directrix defines a conic section
4
:  a localized area of disease or the chief site of a generalized disease or infection
5
a :  a center of activity, attraction, or attention <the focusof the meeting was drug abuse>
b :  a point of concentration
6
:  the place of origin of an earthquake or moonquake
7
:  directed attention :  emphasis


What I know is I need FOCUS. I need to FOCUS on my life, FOCUS on God, FOCUS on my marriage, FOCUS on my children, FOCUS on health, FOCUS on getting organized, FOCUS on making goals, FOCUS on following through, FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS. 
I feel as if I easily get off track. I have a ton a good ideas that result in tons of started projects. I want to FOCUS on completing the ones I feel are worth completing, and stay FOCUSed on them til they are done.  I want to FOCUS meal planning, it helps my days go better, it saves on grocery expenses, I want to FOCUS on some financial goals we have, and keep intensity to complete those goals. I want to FOCUS on my health. Weightloss is fantastic, but I want to move more, and set a good example for my children. The thing I want to FOCUS on the most is the time I spend with my Lord. I become easily distracted. I have set some spiritual goals for myself, with the Lord's help I know I can stay FOCUSed.

 So FOCUS is my word. Hearing it makes me reset and pay attention to what is going on right now. Seeing it grabs me at my core in a way no other word really ever has.  In my prayer time I asked God to help me FOCUS on Him, and on what is important. The word didn't hit me until later, but for me it is an attention grabber.  It's my word.

Have a blessed FOCUSED day!

No comments: