Monday, March 3, 2014

The Going Green Tag

There is a tag going around the "green community", and I thought it was kind of fun and it made me think about the "green" things I do and why I do them. So this is for fun.
1. What started it all off for you?
A food allergy actually started my green journey. After reading ingredients in everything I put into my body and realizing that there were a lot of ingredients I didn't really like, I started looking at and researching ingredients for household products and skin care etc. 
2. What was the first thing to go?
UMMM, which time? So I have a tendency toward all or nothing. So going green in general has happened a few times (which by the way isn't green at all, it is incredibly wasteful). Household products were really the first things to go.  I tried Melaleuca, Shaklee, and DIY. In between those things I would return to chemical laden, unnatural products. Sometimes because of cost, sometimes because of effectiveness. In and out of my trial and error of being green, I also did the same with body products and make up. The first ingredient I ditched though was parabens. 
3. What are you/did you struggle to let go of?
Deodorant is still a struggle. I made my own which worked great, but I had a reaction to the baking soda. Without it I don't find the deodorants effective. I did recently find a new recipe that is baking soda free I am going to try out. I'm kind of excited.
4.What has been your best find  or change (i.e. a green product or tip that you’re really glad you’ve found/learned)
My best find has been the books for DIY beauty products. I like making stuff. Coconut oil is also a pretty great ingredient. I use it for a ton of things. 
5. What has been the worst thing about going green? What has been the hardest to transition or find an adequate green replacement of?
The worst thing about going green initially was cost and availability of products. I have a couple of natural stores I love, but one is 40 minutes away, and the other one is over an hour away. I like to smell products, and read the ingredients before I buy them, so ordering on line is more difficult at least for smelling things ha! ha !  The thing I have had the hardest time finding a replacement for besides the above mentioned deodorant is foundation. I have one, but none of the ones I've tried really do the same thing conventional foundation does. I binged on unnatural products about 6 months ago because I just felt like I looked dull and lifeless, and the conventional products did make me feel better, my skin improved, but I have felt guilty and like a hypocrite the whole time I have used them and concerned about the ingredients I'm putting on my body. 
6. Anything else to add? Any tips or tricks to pass on?
The most important thing I have realized is being green means something different to every single person. My reasoning behind using or not using a product doesn't make me right or wrong.  Research ingredients and decide what is important to you and why. Don't feel like you have to do it all at once (remember I mentioned my all or nothing tendency) or that you have to do it the same way someone else is. I am learning this time around that small changes are lasting changes. 
The other thing is you can make your own stuff pretty easily. I have a few books I adore for homemade natural products. This really helps keep the cost down. 
Lastly, find like minded people, even if not in your everyday, find blogs to read, or search for articles. Go to the library and read books on green living/lifestyle. 

No comments: