Monday, February 15, 2016

Well Hello, this one might be a touch long.

It's been a minute since I've blogged.  Life got busy, I wasn't inspired to share here. Mostly uninspired because I didn't know what my blog should be about; Just my life in general (that's pretty boring ha!), crafty things (cause I dabble in about a 100 different things and could probably share a lot), homemaking (or lack there of ha!), homemade food, dairy free food, or anything related to food, homemade anything (which looks a lot like crafting), diy (again, kinda like crafting), beauty stuff (cause I love me some beauty products). You see the list in endless, except that I did just end it, but you know what I mean. What I have determined is my blog isn't a platform, it could be, but that's not me.  I go to my recipe section instead of hunting through my cookbooks sometimes. I go to the cards for inspiration sometimes. So I think my blog is going to be what blogs were meant to be from the beginning, an online journal.  If you read it, that's ok, but it's also ok if you don't. My grammar may be sketchy at times. You'll just need to get over that. I am bad about hanging prepositions.


So a little of what's been going on recently. (let's be honest you don't really care about the whole last year).

So I started a sourdough starter, it was easier than I thought. Funny story, I don't really like sourdough foods.  Why did I make a starter you ask. I just wanted to see if I could do it.



and I made a Amish Friendship bread starter in a 2 quart jar instead of the gallon ziploc bag.  Glass jars are more eco-friendly, and I'm certain there is no plastic leaching anything into my food. My hubby asked if I remembered this bread, so I did a search for the recipe and made the starter. I am making it dairy free, so I'll report back on how it turns out. (At least I think I will ha!)


Displaying IMAG2563.jpg
Displaying IMAG2563.jpg
I made granola bars, because these are a staple at our house. These are smore granola bars, and even though I just made these, we are out again. I'll make more soon, like probably today.




Crackers, they were a little thicker than I thought, and not quite as crunchy as I wanted, but the flavor was fantastic. You can get the recipe from here. I will certainly be making these again. Practice makes progress, and eventually as close to perfect as you can get.


I made lotion because it's cold and dry, and my homemade lotion does such a better job than anything store bought, and it smells nice. It lasts too. I wash my hands a ton, and even after washing my hands they feel moisturized. There are only 4 ingredients, and it's maybe 10 minutes to make max!


and homemade chicken noodle soup because we've been sick around here, and nothing is better than homemade chicken noodle soup.  I plan on sharing this recipe soon because my recipe is written on the back of  a blue piece of paper, that originally was a shopping list. Writing on random pieces of paper is a problem I have. =)


I have done a bit of reading.



This book is fantastic. Particularly if you want to learn to make things from scratch. Become more self sustainable, or just wish you were a pioneer.  The book is also filled with scripture, and inspirational stories. It was an easy read, but I find my self referencing it for recipes because I love trying a new recipe of something I already make, and I also love just making things I've never made before. Melissa has a great website. I highly recommend checking it out if you think you might at all be like me.


I had a friend tell me last week, "You do know you're an 80 year old Amish woman reincarnated right".  I had someone else ask me  "are you a prepper?"  Got called "crunchy"  None of these are offensive to me. I am certain I don't believe in reincarnation ha!  I am not a prepper, even though my pantry is nicely stocked and I may have purchased 6 cases of green beans (they were a great deal, and we eat a lot of green beans), I am "crunchy" in some regards, but not completely crunchy. I do care about the earth and my impact on it, but I may have thrown something away that could've been recycled because I was sick and the 10 steps to the recycling bin seems like 10 miles. I use natural soap, but conventional shampoo and conditioner (it just works better).  I use natural cleaners, but I also keep a little dawn dishsoap handy because sometimes it just works better. I bounce between store bought laundry soap, natural laundry soap, and homemade laundry soap. I like to crochet, and knit, and sew. I really want to make a quilt, but I'm kind of intimidated by the idea. I love paper crafting, but I really don't care about scrapbooking. I used to, but not because I loved it, but because I felt like I was doing my family an injustice if I didn't.  (that was marketing at it's best there). Most of the things I do just to say that I can. Not to the world, but just to me. I like to know I have the knowledge to do things if I should need to do them, or the knowledge to know it's not something I want to do.

On a different note,  I have a lot of stuff, but kind of wish I could be a minimalist, but I love thrift store shopping, which makes me want more stuff. It's a vicious cycle. HA!

Well, if you made it this far, bless your heart!

I'm thinking right now, that a weekly update is going to be my plan for now. There may be more, there may be less. It remains to be seen.

Either way, have a blessed day!

No comments: