Saturday, April 18, 2009

Well, what a week...

After Monday it was kind of a blur. I have been having some tachycardia (rapid heart rate) for what seems like no apparent reason. Been happening a for a few weeks, turns out about the same time I brought home a flowering house plant...hmmm...
So I had some lab work done, and went in for a check up. dr. agreed my heart was beating a bit fast for someone my age etc...he recommended starting me on this medication (atenolol) to control the rate. So I went to the pharmacy and filled the script and started a half dose (yes I know you should follow dr. orders but I felt like it was too much). I also started symptoms of bronchitis suddenly and was having a lot of shortness of breath. I took the med for 3 days again only the half dose (turns out this was probably a good thing). Last night, before bed I was sharing with my husband just how bad I was feeling, but that I seemed a little bit better but had not taken the medication that day. He says, maybe its the med...so I google some info (I know I'm a nurse and I should be smarter than this, but its a common drug I give lots of people with no issues) turns out people with asthma/chronic bronchitis, etc should NOT take it and it can cause, dizziness, shortness of breath and bronchitis symptoms. Well, I'll be. Thank God I was only taking half a dose. Today I have felt a ton better, my cough is almost gone (which if it was a true bronchitis would not go away so easily) and I can do more than walk up the steps without getting short of breath! The other thing, is we also bought some new house plants that have been banned to the back porch. I believe the initial rapid heart rate/shortness of breath thing could be allergies. So I started Zyrtec and seem much better. I have a follow up next friday! I am so thankful to be feeling better. I felt bad enough last night I was considering the emergency room, but after a good nights sleep I think I'll be fine.

and if you are looking for pics, I still haven't gotten them off the camera sorry...been a little preoccupied.

No comments: