Wednesday, August 18, 2010

this and that

Some thoughts on today.

I have been thinking on the things we not only put into our bodies, but also on our bodies. I read somewhere that the average woman puts over 10 products on her face alone daily (I am so not average here, but that is not the point). 10 products, let's think...soap, moisturizer, eye cream, foundation, powder, blush, eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, lip gloss/stick/balm. that is 10 things, and those were just the 10 things that quickly came to my mind. Now if you look at the ingredients in most of those things, you will find parabens (found also in breast cancer tumors, but the link is not fully established), plastics, alcohols, sulfates. None of those things sound like things I want absorbed into my skin.

It is no secret that I have made my own laundry soap, however, I had stopped because we were having some cleaning issues. Also some itching issues. I also don't really care for the ingredients in the fels naptha bar that made up my laundry soap. I have since started using shaklee. I like it, but I don't really like the price tag. I have discovered an alternative soap to use, and a new batch of laundry soap is on its way, but I am also looking at making my own soap. After a lot of reading and research I think this is will be a fun adventure. I have been exploring healthier options in beauty products, Burts Bees is a fairly decent company for healthy stuff, I thought Toms of Maine was until they were purchased by palmolive boo! Anytime corporate takes over a small company there are bad changes!

I have been shopping more at the co-op looking for healthier, greener, more sustainable options, I'm looking at using less plastic, and going reusable.

I recently made my own deodorant, it seems to be working quite well. It doesn't keep me from sweating, but you know what I have found, if I don't consume tons of sugar, and eat a healthy whole food balanced diet, I don't sweat as much! So when they say you are what you eat, they aren't too far off.

Little by little I'm weeding out toxins of our home, tyring to be more frugal, and live a healthier lifestyle. What are you doing to help our Earth.

Hope you have a blessed day!

No comments: