Saturday, November 2, 2013

It's Holiday Time!!!

I cannot believe it is November already. This year is flying by and I feel like it is leaving me behind!  In order to attempt to not be overwhelmed by the Holiday season I am starting planning now.

It can be as simple or as complicated as you want, but I always vote for simple.

I'm starting with gift planning. Make a list of everyone you need to get/make a gift for. Don't forget teachers, secretaries, etc.  Once you see how many people are on you list you can better assess what you need to do.

For gifts for teachers, I always go handmade. Cards are always a big hit. Altho Chocolate never hurts either. I picked up some small glasses for free at the flea market. I'll fill them with some candy, wrap them up and instant inexpensive gift for the forgot specials teachers. Also easy gifts for secretaries too.

I already have some plans to make some gifts for Christmas. I will be starting that process this week. I love seeing a project come together so I am anxious to get started.

Christmas has changed a lot over the years. It used to be you got people gifts based on things that made you think of them. Then somewhere along the line we became selfish and ungrateful, and started making very detailed lists or requests for gift cards so we can buy our own gifts. Or maybe because of all the electronics we don't spend time with people so we don't really know what they like or don't like anymore.
Don't get me wrong, I asked for money last year so I could buy a serger because it is something I have wanted for a very long time, so I'm not condemning it, just thinking on how Christmas is different.

I would like Christmas to be more than about the number of presents or making sure the exact same amount of $$ is spent of everyone and more about being thankful for family and what we already have and most importantly about the birth of my Savior and how without Christ I am nothing.

I don't know how we take our materialistic world and bring the focus back to what is important. I don't know how I take my materialistic little world and do it, but I'm going to try. Sure my kids will get too many gifts, but while I'm out shopping/planning/making gifts I am going to pray for the person I'm shopping for, and bathe each gift/person with prayer. Though that won't change the heart of the receiver, I will be keeping my focus on the heart of the season.

Have a blessed day!! Start planning so you don't get overwhelmed! By the way, 53 days til Christmas!

No comments: