Thursday, July 3, 2014

Frozen Strawberry Dessert AKA Strawberry Stuff

Recently, I was at my hubby's grandpa's house, and I have a love for old recipe books, and it's even better if it is a recipe book from someone I love. So, while I was sitting going through Grandma Willit's recipe book which she had hand written and put in a binder (a woman after my own heart) my hubby piped up and said, "hey can you find the recipe in there for strawberry stuff?"

There was nothing titled strawberry stuff by the way, only frozen strawberry dessert, but when I read the recipe, all were in agreement that it was indeed "strawberry stuff"

This is a yummy recipe I had to share, and also have archived for myself (because let's be real, I blog for me).

So with out further ado.....


STRAWBERRY STUFF

Crumbs:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup margarine softened (if you use unsalted, add 1/2 tsp salt)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)

Mix together then place loosely in 9 x 13 pan.  do NOT pack into pan.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.

Cool and save 1/3 for the topping.   (I also crumbled it up more after it had cooled)


Filling:

2 egg whites (3 if using medium eggs)
1 cup of sugar
1 - 10 oz package of frozen unsweetened strawberries slighlty thawed
1 - 9 oz tub cool whip

Whip egg whites and sugar together to stiff peaks (about 20 minutes)

Add berries one or two at a time, until all have been added.

Fold in cool whip.

Spread 2/3 of the crumbs on the bottom of a freezer safe 9 x 13 pan.  Pour filling onto crumbs and spread out evening. Top with remaining crumbs. Place in freezer til frozen.


Can be served right from the freezer, leftovers can be refrozen.


For those that care if you cut your pan into 20 servings they are 150 calories each approximately.


No comments: